| 1 comments ]

Well, today marks the birth of my blog and the birth
of another reason for me to spend more ridiculous
hours online. Blogging has always interested me, but I
didn't know if I'd be able to keep up with frequently
updating the site. Additionally, I think that when you
put something "out there", it should add value to people
somehow, that when they're finished reading maybe
they discover something new, perhaps a concept or
just some small piece of information. It shouldn't just be
some self-indulgent expose.


Caribbean literature
These days I'm big on Caribbean literature.
Well, I was always hooked. Since I was like 9/10
I'd be reading Michael Anthony's All that glitters or
The Year in San Fernando. Now, having Amazon deliver
stuff straight to my door, it's lovely, one of the few
things I enjoy about England. Lol. These days I'm
buying Elizabeth Nunez novels like it was fry bake and
smoke herring (Shout out to the Antiguan lady with d
parlour on Charlotte Street who hooked me up before I
ent to work... oh and the snow cone man too).

My first experience of Elizabeth - Beyond the Limbo
Silence, the first novel I read (years ago courtesy UWI's
library) is un-put-downable. So, I thought I'd buy some
more to see how the rest were. Didn't know if I'd have
a Toni Morrison experience. See, Song of Solomon
was great, so I thought I'd check out her other stuff,
but somehow I couldn't read the whole thing, the magic
wasn't there. I don't know what the fuss is 'bout her,
but then when you're Oprah's friend things happen eh.

Anyway, I digress, so yeah Nunex is da bomb. Partly
wanting to see if she'd do a Toni Morrison on me and
partly proud of the fact that this Trini writer is da bomb,
I bought some of her books. I picked up Discretion to
read last night. Talk 'bout a lack of discipline on my part
when I should be studying for a law exam and I had vowed
I would be a virgin to the book until I took my seat on a
Virgin plane to head back to Trinidad, meh mudda land,
meh fadda land, meh brudda land, my land. Well, three
hours later I was already half-way through the book.
Ah force mehself to put it down so I could get some zzz
and not feel mash up today. Ah also force a Nunez on meh
English landlady.
I still have to get Bruised Hibiscus (imagine reading 'bout
Orange Grove and Chaguanas an ting in beautiful prose).
Muah! And I ha to get Prospero's Daughter, her latest.
Was just reading that Nunez is in Jamaica this weekend
She was in Trinidad during this year's Carnival for another
literary bash. I love it when our writers come home to
exchange ideas and do whatever they do. I not gonna
pretend I know what goes on in those events.
If you want to find out more 'bout her, check out www.elizabethnunez.com
Hey Liz, afta dat plug ah jes gi yuh, send some novels nah.

Anyhoo, enough of my dabbling for the day.

Take care peeps, and thanks for reading my first blog.
Hope you discovered something new.

Karel

1 comments

Anonymous said... @ June 02, 2006 2:15 AM

Hi Karel,

Congratulations. I think your research would be very important and useful. I think there are many gender issues involved as well e.g. the people who take on these jobs, is there a 'feminisation'of the positions? and what are the class positions of the PR approach.

Are the meessages gendered and 'raced,e.g. How do PR persons representation of themselves a response to certain class issues around dress and 'hair' etc..

Also the question of charity and PR vs, community empowerment and CSR.

What of CSR to their own staff and workers, relationships with trade unions for example ...

There are many issues you can address here.

Also are local PR communicators sometimes compromised or challenged in their responsibility to the company and to their country/communities?

Good luck, I look forward to seeing your thesis.

Post a Comment