| 2 comments ]


Within my new hobby of finding anything Caribbean-related,
I'm also using this blog as a sort of journal on my progress
on my research for my dissertation for my Master's in
Corporate Communication. Seems, I never end up
writing in the notebook I bought to use as a journal.
So net junkie like me, I usin d net. Thankfully, I've
finished my research proposal, just to print, bind
and submit it. I'm pretty excited about it. Gonna look
at public relations and corporate social
responsibility in Trinidad and Tobago.

It's a damn shame that there's hardly any research on
PR in the Caribbean. They writing about everywhere
else but the isles of sun, sea and sand. Except for
Dr Juliette Storr, a Bahamian, who did some research
on the use of PR in educating people on HIV and AIDS.
And really, all the PR books are predominantly about
practice in America, the UK and Europe. There is
some research on PR in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
All d Global Public Relations Handbook could say is oh,
we have no research on the Caribbean, but it's important
to learn more about PR in this part of the world since
it can lend new knowledge to international and multicultural PR.
Damn skippy!

So I tink is best for one of us to start the research
instead of some outsider with little understanding of
our cultural, historical, social and political environments
and who though he/ she may become informed to an extent
on the subject will invariably insert some stereotypical views
of the developing world.

Now, I not saying that I don't have my own subjective thoughts.
And obviously my research subjects will have their own views
but I'm gonna present their reality, as they see it, as they
describe it. That way I can claim objectivity be presenting
their objectivity and subjectivity as is.

And to my lecturer who thinks I may be distracted by doing
my dissertation at home and end up liming on the beach instead
of doing my work, doh worry, dis Trini eh stupid. You know how
much pounds I pay just to study and live in jolly (roll eyes) England?


Karel

2 comments

Attillah said... @ May 28, 2006 7:18 PM

Hey karel, congrats on the blog!
It's an interesting topic you're taking on.
Not to be too biased, but maybe you should look at the case of Alcoa and how they have consistently distorted their true nature through their obscene PR exercises, like inviting the poorest members of a community to an all expenses paid and highly controlled trip to Brazil...
We are the place for multi-nationals trying to pull wool over our eyes aren't we?
all the best with your research!

Anonymous said... @ May 29, 2006 9:00 AM

This is very interesting.I totally agree with the lack of local material.Trust its not only the area of PR its across the board.Getting information related to the Caribbean is like Trinidad beating Brazil to get the World Cup Trophy in 2006.(Not that I not praying for them).Maybe in the next world cup when the dynamic duo Ronaldhino and Ronaldo retire, the Soca Warriors will be able to whip the Samba boys tail!Well its by now obvious who I am backing for the upcoming tournament.Anyway my girl keep trying and I give you all my support in anyway!
FROM: AISHA!

Post a Comment